Steeped in history
Bartle is one of the four quarters of Woodplumpton along with Catforth, Plumpton and Eaves. Woodplumpton was an ancient township with a manor house, the earliest lord was Earl Tostig, brother of King Harold who died at the battle of Hastings in 1066. William the conqueror gave the manor of Woodplumpton with its neighbouring parishes to his retainees as a reward for their services.
& Book Online
Bartle Hall stands off Lea Lane on the site of premises which are known to have existed as far back as 1600. The earlier building which was flat roofed, covered with lead & had a small tower, was originally named Sammy Field House and from 1745 Leach Hall, part of which forms the core of the present building.
Thomas Cowband a Liverpool merchant lived here in 1714 with his daughters Elizabeth and Rebecca, and his sons Richard and John. It is thought Robert Haydocks son also named Robert married Alice Smith of Larbreck, & their son another Robert Haydock married Mary Fidler of Lea, whose father some ten years earlier had married Jennet Haydock at Woodplumpton church in 1739.
After the death of the second Robert Haydock in 1820, its new owner, the Preston bailiff John Troughton greatly extended the hall during 1822 – 23 & planted more trees. It was his son, significantly christened Thomas More, who, having inherited the hall in 1849, sold it five years later to Charles Birley. Almost immediately it was named Bartle Hall by his family whose fortune was based on mill ownership around Kirkham. Charles Birley readily assumed the role of country squire & throughout his time at Bartle Hall was renowned for its social calendar and especially the annual horse racing event which took place in its extensive grounds.
In 1922 Bartle Hall became the property of William Joseph Walmsley a Preston cotton manufacturer. He and his American wife Mary Cary Pyke, the daughter of a businessman from West Water, Virginia, regularly opened their estate for garden parties, which are as well remembered as the sleek black chauffeur driven car with its monogrammed doors which bore the ‘American Lady ’ around the district. William out lived Mary by 5 years and upon his death in 1963 the 376 acre estate was considerably reduced by the sale of the tenanted farms. The Hall retained its present 16 acres of woodlands and gardens.
In 1984 Bartle Hall was offered for sale with grounds extending to 16 acres. The house was described by agents as dating back to 1730 and being substantially constructed in handsome Georgian-style of brick with stone dressing & a slated roof. Around 1830 the house was extended to provide a large west wing and overall impressive elevations have resulted. The accommodation of the original house is self contained although it communicates with the main hall at both ground & first floor level… Screened by mature trees from the road the property has the following accommodation…Front stone portico with four stone columns… Vestibule with tiled floor… 44’9” x 9’10” Reception Hall… Rear Hall… 24’ x 17’8” Lounge.
The present owners Peter and Andrew Haworth purchased the Hall in April of 1991 embarked upon breathing another chapter into the life of this elegant mansion, creating the fine country house hotel which has been enjoyed by so many people today.
We hope you enjoy your time spent here at Bartle Hall Hotel.